Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hitting the Wall...

Wow, what a week! I just arrived home from a week in China and I can say that it was absolutely incredible. I went to run the Great Wall of China Marathon and it was one of the toughest things I've ever done. The marathon was BRUTAL! The physical and mental challenge is really intense and when you hit the wall for the second time during the race (yes, another 5,164 stairs) the term "hitting the wall" takes on a whole new meaning.

The 26.2 mile (42.2 km) course starts off with a 4 mile run up the mountain to get onto the wall. Once you're there, you enter the wall for 1.5 miles of extreme stairs. Once off the wall you're running through small villages, up/down yet another mountain (no one told me about this one), and then back to the wall at mile 21 for a little more torture. The last 4 miles are spent running down the hill you first came up and into the square for your finish. I have never been so excited to see a finish line, ever. Perhaps a little more training would have made the effort a little easier, although I'm not sure. :)




Inspection Day...it's mandatory to walk the entire wall route 2 days before the race. This is a nice perspective on the height!

On the inspection day we were bused up to the wall...on race day we run it.







Wall jam-up! This happened on race day as well!

A little steep, yeah...


Yingyang Square...the start/finish line

It's peaceful on race day morning.

Pre-race Vega Performance drink...getting excited.
I gave out 'I love NYC' wrist bands to the kids cheering us along the way!


We have no idea what we are getting into...

Terrain between villages...

Mile 22...I'm dying. Needed my Vega endurance gel STAT.


XO-Tiff

1 comment:

  1. Incredible, I would need to get in shape just to balance on the down hill run stairs! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

By Tiffany Phipps